Monday, March 10, 2008

Making Time

Making Time

Rachel Olsen

"But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father."

John 15:7-8 (NIV)

How can I find time to have a "quiet time" with God? Even if I found the time, how do I know what to do during this time?

Ever ask yourself these questions? I have. There was a time when these questions left me speechless because I didn't know how to answer them. I knew people who would spend an hour alone with God each day, and I wondered what their secret was. What was it that enabled them to do that? What kept them from falling asleep sitting there alone with the Bible? How did they know what to say, read or think about during all those minutes? How did they keep from getting distracted? How did they even manage to find an hour of free time each day? I kept waiting for a season of my life to come during which a block of time would regularly present itself and my spirit would drive me to God. I wasted a lot of time waiting for that to happen and I've learned it never will without some effort.

"Rachel, how do you find time to have a quiet time?" I was asked not too long ago. "I don't find the time," I answered. "I have to make the time. I can't expect to find time -- that'll never happen. There's always going to be something needing my attention, calling my name. I have to make the time, and that means sometimes I have to let other things slide. I have to be OK with letting less important things slide," I confessed.

I've come to realize it's a matter of choice, a matter of discipline... and a matter of active investment. E.M. Bounds wrote, "The lazy man does not, will not, cannot pray, for prayer demands energy." What a simple but profound statement. When I don't pray or spend time reading the Bible, it's because I simply don't want to expend the energy on it. Bounds is saying that people who do not pray much probably claim to be too busy or too bored with it, but in reality are too lazy to press into God. Wow. Ouch!

I believe we have to be earnest in pressing into God and this will bring glory to God as today verse says. In the words of a little shoe company called Nike; we have to "just do it." Let's carve some time in our days to be quiet before the Lord, to read His words and pray. We can trade a small portion of our time and energy for a large portion of His grace and power.

Purpose to stick to it for several weeks until it sinks into your schedule, and your soul begins to respond. If you want some help being accountable on this, or some ideas for how to start, visit my blog listed below and we can do it together for the next six weeks. I know we'll find it is more than worth the effort.


Dear Lord, I want to make time for You. I want to read the Bible and understand it. I want to pray and see You answer. Help me to press in closer to You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Reflections:

What is stopping me from pressing into God?

Do I truly not have any time in my day to spend with Him?

Power Verses:

Isaiah 28:23, "Listen and hear my voice; pay attention and hear what I say." (NIV)

Isaiah 32:9, "You women who are so complacent, rise up and listen to me; you daughters who feel secure, hear what I have to say!" (NIV)


1 Corinthians 14:15, "So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind." (NIV)

Psalm 119:11, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" (NIV)

Corny

No comments: